It’s almost spring! With the weather heating up, it’s time to open up the windows, clear out all the clutter and let your house sparkle.
We have 12 tips and tricks to make your spring cleaning in the kitchen successful and less stressful.
- Gather all of your supplies together first thing. Trying to sort through the pantry cabinet for your oven cleaner might make you frustrated enough to declutter the cabinet. It’s easy to forget what your initial goal was.
- Stainless steel is prone to stains from heat and hard water. To polish it up, apply white vinegar with a soft cloth and rub. Always dry thoroughly after washing to prevent a film from forming.
- To rescue a burned pot, cover the burned material with a thick layer of baking soda, add a small amount of water and let it sit overnight.
- To clean coffee filter reservoirs, run a mix of water and white vinegar through a cycle. Pause it halfway through, let it sit for about an hour, then resume the cycle. Then, run a few cycles with just water before brewing a fresh pot of coffee.
- Sanitize your cutting board with hydrogen peroxide or vinegar. To protect the surface, condition the wood with mineral oil.
- Clear out expired condiments and mystery foods from the refrigerator, then sweep and mop under the fridge.
- To deep-clean the microwave, mix vinegar and water together in a bowl, set the microwave for about 10 minutes and wipe down. The steam will loosen debris and deodorize.
- To de-stink the garbage disposal, run a few lemon rinds through the disposal and follow with cold water to dispel any sour odors.
- To keep tiny bugs out of your pantry, try taping whole dried bay leaves to the sides and bottoms of your shelves.
- To kill germs on your sponges, simply place in the microwave for two minutes.
- Deep clean any regularly-used items like your tea kettle or blender jug by soaking for several hours in a half water/ half white vinegar solution to remove residue. Then, wash thoroughly.
- Finally, remember to block out a whole day – not just a few hours – to do a proper spring cleaning. The entire process will more than likely take you longer than you plan for, but it’s better to get it entirely out of the way than having to deal with it later.