The year is finally off and here in La Jolla our schedules are busier than ever. In conjunction with Canned Foods Month this February, I’m sharing with you essential pantry staples that I always keep in my kitchen for impromptu meals as well some ideas how to use them.
- Beans – These are my go-to source for protein. Simple quick ideas including roasting the beans and adding them in soups or salads. Plus there’s a ton of fiber to boot. Currently in my pantry, I have garbanzo beans, black beans, kidney beans – you name it!
- Vinegars – These potent liquids are the foundation for a variety of salad dressings and marinades. I make sure to always have rice vinegar, balsamic, red wine, apple cider and white wine.
- Canned Tuna – This is another super star for protein. I like to tuna include in salads especially my delicious Tuscan tuna salad. There’s nothing fancy about this (I buy the Trader Joe’s brand) but make sure to grab the kind packed in olive oil.
- San Marzano tomatoes – If you find these, make sure to stock up. These super stars can be featured in soups, sauces and stews.
- Artichokes – Here’s a veggie that almost as good as fresh and without the extra work of prepping them. I suggest sautéing them or roasting them as an amazing side dish.
- Miscellaneous Must-Haves – In my pantry, I always keep a variety of canned chilis, diced jalapenos, pasta, capers and olives.
What are your pantry essentials? Let me know in the comments below!