It’s asparagus season in California, and it’s time to make my Creamy Asparagus Soup recipe. Velvety and delicately flavored with garlic, celery, fresh thyme and leeks, my recipe is a snap to make for a light lunch or dinner.
Pair with a salad and some crusty bread, and you’re good to go! You can substitute the butter for olive oil and eliminate the cream for a vegan and paleo version!
- 2 pound asparagus, ends snapped off and spears cut into pieces
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large leeks rinsed thoroughly and sliced into rounds
- 2 large celery stalks, diced
- 1Tablespoon minced garlic
- Several springs of flat leaf parsley
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 large or 3 small red potatoes, peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream (optional)
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
In a large stock pot, melt butter and add leeks, sauté 4 -5 minutes until leeks are soft but not brown. Add minced garlic, celery, diced potatoes, asparagus and ½ teaspoon sea salt.
When veggies are soft add soup stock, parsley and thyme sprigs and ½ teaspoon pepper.
Put lid on pot and reduce heat to medium-low and let soup simmer about 1 hour until all veggies are soft. Let soup cool, remove parsley and thyme sprigs. Puree soup either in blender or with emersion blender. If the soup is very thick add more vegetable stock and cream.