This lamb dish makes an elegant special occasion dinner and is perfect for Easter. Braising a lamb shank is really not as complicated as it sounds and the taste is something heavenly!
Braised Greek Lamb Shank
- 2 Tablespoons dried Greek oregano
- 2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 Tablespoon powder garlic
- 2 -3 bay leaves crushed
- 1 Tablespoon course sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 8 lamb shanks or 4 pound leg of lamb
In a small mixing bowl combine all the spices. Place lamb shanks in a glass Pyrex dish. Smear olive oil all over both side of lamb shanks and generously sprinkle spice rub all over lamb shanks. Cover with plastic wrap Refrigerate overnight or for several hours.
- 1 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
In a large sauté pan add 2 Tablespoons olive oil and sear the lamb shanks until brown.
In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together all braising ingredients. Place chopped onion and browned lamb shanks in a large baking dish and pour braising liquid over lamb shanks. Cover tightly and roast for 40 minutes. Baste shanks and reduce oven to 350 degrees. Cover tightly and roast another 2 hours or so until meat is almost falling off bone. Baste occasionally. Serves 8.